The principles of the 12 steps can be very difficult or very simple to understand.
This is an effort to simplify the meaning of the principles of the 12 steps for those who may be having difficulty. These are the principles that are incorporated into our daily lives as ‘we walk the walk’. Employing each of these behaviors will help to rebuild a life of increased self esteem and self confidence. So, in my never ending quest to keep it simple, here are the action principles behind the twelve steps:
1. Honesty – The operative principle behind step 1 is honesty. If you cannot get honest about the scope of your problem, and honest about a sincere effort to resolve it you will not succeed. How about a definition of honesty as the absence of the intention to deceive? Who do we try to fool? Ourselves
2. Hope – In order to engage in a course of addiction recovery, we must have hope of success. If there is no hope, why try? Perhaps we have failed on our own, how about enlisting some help? A way to instill hope is to realize recovery is not a question of ability; after all there are millions in recovery, but rather persistence and
3. Faith – This stage of action is to begin to employ the recovery skills being learned. You can seek out help, but it is also necessary to utilize it. Our job is to become willing to do the right thing. A simple way to view the ‘next right thing’ is don’t engage in your behavior. Have faith it will work.
4. Courage – This step is really about courage to honestly (see step 1) look at ourselves. Take a look at how our behavior has become warped to justify our continued behavior. We are here to take an honest assessment of ourselves.
5. Integrity – If we have truly done a thorough job of introspection and evaluation of our assets and shortcomings do we have the integrity to own up to it? It can be very difficult to be open and honest about our past behaviors. We accept the need for a dose of humility.
6. Willingness – Now that we have accomplished an inventory of the good and no so good aspects of our character and behavior, are we willing to change them? All of them? The important part in this 12 step principle is the willingness to let go of old behaviors.
7. Humility – Here we move further into action, in step 6 we became willing to as let go of our old behaviors, now we ask for help in actually letting go. Can we learn to forgive ourselves?
9. Forgiveness – Asking for the forgiveness of those we have intentionally or unintentionally injured is the order of the day. A key point here is to try to correct those injuries through action, not just words. It is highly recommended that guidance and help is utilized here. Asking forgiveness is not a gift to the other person, but rather an act of kindness to you.
10. Acceptance – To be human is to make mistakes. Hopefully our journey has led us to the point where we can readily admit mistakes and accept ourselves for being imperfect. We must also learn not to judge others but accept them for who they are, not our vision of who they should be.
11. Knowledge and Awareness – Here we search and become aware of following our path being aware of our purpose in life and actively pursuing it. I view this principle as just being aware, not being got up in the rush of life, making conscious effort to do the right thing and to be at peace.
12. Service and Gratitude – Having brought about a personality change sufficient to remain in recovery; we are empowered to demonstrate the new principles by which we live, in our daily life through example. We seek out and are available to help others in need.
There you have it. Simple actions you can practice each and every day to improve the quality of your life in addiction recovery and those people you come in contact with. These are the simple one word action principles of the 12 steps.
Ashburn Psychological Services was founded in 2005 by Dr. Michael Oberschneider. The practice has been well received by area professionals and families and has grown to be the home of some of the area's leading psychiatrists and psychologists. We are here to address your needs.
Since 1977 that I am working with divers men and women clients as well as I was fortunate to live in three different countries, plus constantly continuing education and updating my knowledge related to human behaviors, made me a knowledgeable and strong therapist working with individuals and families during their hard time of life.
Across Counseling is a group of experienced mental health practitioners in Vienna, Virginia with diverse specialties as well as other professionals offering integrative specialty services who can help you to resolve issues and challenges. The specialties we offer enable us to meet your specific needs, whether you are feeling depressed, anxious, struggle with issues around food, alcohol, or other substances, sexual or gender identity, grief, trauma, family and relationship issues and more. We also offer an option to work with us using a team approach that can be more effective with multiple members of a family or for clients with multiple issues that respond best to specialized approaches. When needed, the team option enables us to offer a coordinated approach that can be designed to best meet your specific needs. Whether we are working with individuals, couples, families, or groups, we can work together with you to address your issues and challenges and develop a plan to help you to improve your well-being and foster personal growth, to feel better and have a greater enjoyment of life.
I provide professional, results-oriented counseling with a focus on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Hypnosis, methods that more quickly and effectively brings about positive changes. As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I also work extensively with couples and family members on relationship issues.
Washington Psychological Wellness is a boutique-style psychotherapy and mental health practice located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Our therapists have a passion for helping members of the community fulfill their mental wellness goals. We provide integrative and holistic mental health treatment with specialized expertise in adult, adolescent, child, couples, and family therapy. Telehealth options are available. Contact us now to schedule your complimentary 15-minute consultation!
Seeking an alternative to traditional therapy? That’s why I’m here. My tools range from innovative new mind-body modalities (e.g., Energy Psychology) to the most ancient spiritual/energetic modality (shamanic healing). These tools enable me to help clients address most of the problems that licensed mental health professionals do – plus some they can’t. And usually do it more efficiently. This is the main reason I almost always have one or more licensed therapists as clients. See the testimonials on my website.
I guarantee discretion and tailor-made concierge services to all clients, particularly high-profile-high-public-exposure-high-stress persons. NO e-tracking. No communication to portals, employers, doctors, etc... unless you want it. No clearance problem, reputation preserved, anonymity and confidentiality in a discreet location or online.
Personal set-backs and conflictual relationships are common problems that we all can face at some point in our lives. My approach is respectful and compassionate. I have doctoral level clinical training, research experience, several publications, and am adjunct faculty at Virginia Tech.
My sensitive and engaging, direct and practical, style is reported by my clients as one of their attractions to working with me. I work with Children, Adolescents and Adults, addressing ADHD, depression and anxiety, divorce, loss and medical trauma. . I would be honored with your trust in me.
I help people heal from trauma. I use EMDR, Gestalt therapy, and other mind -body methods to address PTSD, anxiety, and depression in ways that are safe, gentle, and effective. If you have any questions, please call me or send me an email .
We are an online practice including compassionate, experienced psychologists and licensed professional counselors who provide mental health services to individuals, couples, families, and children located in Virginia, D.C., Georgia, and to American Expats who are located abroad. We also offer fully virtual, psychological testing for ADHD, Pre-adoption, and Intelligence testing. We specialize in PTSD, Complex Trauma, Dissociation, Anxiety, Depression, Grief & Loss, Disability, and Life Transition & Adjustment. We see adults, adolescents, children and welcome all people from diverse backgrounds. Therapy Solutions, LLC, as a practice, also specializes in working with individuals and families who are globally mobile, including Third Culture Kids (TCKs) and Adult TCKs. We are proud of our clinicians and the exceptional work they do to help each client and family gain a sense of calm, joy, and self. Each therapist has a unique perspective, specialty, and focus which serves a wide range of clients. Many of our therapists are instructors or faculty in University settings and have extensive training in areas such as trauma, grief, TCK issues and psychological assessment.
My approach to counseling is that each individual has the potential within them to accomplish anything. My job is to help you realize that potential and to make peace with the issues that you face. Notice I never said anything about “getting over” what you have going on, because I believe that there are some things that make that impossible. But, I believe that if you are willing to work with me to achieve your goals, you can achieve the recovery you truly want My journey to the present day has been unconventional to say the least. I’ve worked in the mental health field since graduating with my Master’s Degree in 2007. I’ve worked with many different populations in many different settings. Most recently I have been working with clients who desired to end their lives, or who were too sick to go about their daily lives. I’ve also supervised others, taught at a college level, and made presentations to other professionals. In the real world, I’ve worked in the medical field, customer service, and I’ve owned my own business. I believe this varied experience allows me to be more emphatic as well as take a more common sense approach to treatment. I invite you to take a step toward something difficult and do something that is good for you. You always have the opportunity to go back to the way things were; that isn’t challenging in the least.
Customized therapy designed for adolescents, adults, couples and families. My goal is to provide a safe, supportive space for individuals to process stressors, better manage difficult emotions, disrupt unhealthy patterns, work through grief and trauma, and build healthy, sustainable relationships.
Life is too often a roller coaster ride. Relationships that often leave us feeling tired, frustrated, and confused. If that's where you find yourself - call me. We will work together and we will exhale together. You will regain your confidence and your joy.
I have been in private practice seeing adults and couples since 2004. I love my job and feel so fortunate to be able to work with people on living their best lives. I tailor sessions to the needs of the client- whether setting measurable goals, processing emotions in a safe space, changing habits or increasing self awareness.
Chances are - if you are reading this - you've come to a place that is unfamiliar or uncomfortable. You either are experiencing symptoms like anxiety, depression, or grief in a way that you never have before. Or maybe, you are just not functioning at the same high level that you have come to expect from yourself. This past year has added to our normal stressors and strains, and it is no surprise that you are feeling it. When you've experienced something that exceeds your ability to cope, you have experienced a trauma. This can be a catastrophic event, but it doesn't have to be.
My approach is collaborative with the individual or family, providing therapeutic pathways & education to promote existing strengths & abilities to sustain achieved outcomes long after counseling is completed. Because of my experience as an Adoption Worker and an adoptive parent, I offer specific supports in the area of adoption and complex childhood trauma.
At Adagio House, our focus is empowering caregivers and their differently-abled loved ones. by working with families, children, adolescents, adults, and seniors. We know that every life is uniquely valuable, interwoven with the complexities of both beauty and pain.