I am 30 years old and since I was 9 I have suffered from severe anxiety. The symptoms of my anxiety are as follows:
1. Fast heart rate/pulse – feeling like I am going to die of a heart attack.
2. Dizzy and Numb in hands and face.
3. Shaking and feeling like I have to move around but want to sit still.
4. Felt like I was a walking zombie at times.
5. Scared of EVERYTHING!!! Anything could trigger a panic attack.
6. If I wasn’t have a panic attack – I had anxiety that just lingered.
What I learned…I used Xanax and Alcohol to cope with a lot of my anxiety (I also took anti depressants for years). All these combined seemed to make it worse. Like I said I have had anxiety and depression since I was a child and later turned to drinking to feel worry "free".
I am now in recovery and do NOT take anything…I am happy to report that since I got sober (after rehab) and worked the 12 steps of a recovery based program I have not suffered from anxiety or panic attacks straight for 2 years.
When trying to figure out how to work on your anxiety you have to first ask yourself…could it be something else?
You see with our without a drinking I have the disease of addiction and would still get panic attacks even when I wasn’t drinking.. But doing steps in recovery program is the only thing that worked for me in fixing my anxiety problem.
Post if you have any questions 🙂